Sunday, June 27, 2010

Andrew List, composer

June 27, 2010
I get a lot of link requests and they're mostly irrelevant to me and my art, but this one I couldn't ignore. Always on the prowl for music for solo violin and/or small ensembles, like my string quartet, or my chamber orchestra...
I just discovered, or maybe re-discovered Andrew List. I’m checking out his website at:
http://www.myspace.com/andrewlistcomposer
Soliloquy from 6 Bagatelles String Trio. I like the lyricism of this piece.
Halcyon Quintet Mvt. 1 is a breath of fresh aire. The flute playing is clean and expressive without going over the top, so to speak.
String Quartet #4, Scherzo has a nice angular jazziness and clusterish chords accented with Bartokian rhythmic drive. Nice octave pillar at the end resolves with that old perfect interval, tho’ nothing really predicts it. Kind of like Dostoyevsky, huh?

No comments: